Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Day two

I am destined to sleep through this conference, I can tell. It's even later than it was last night and I almost slept through one of the lectures today. Honestly. It's hard being this pathetic. But I am, so this has to be quick.

Our assignment from yesterday was coming up with a one sentence pitch. Here goes.

Three siblings discover they are the lost heirs of a magical land.

Done before, yes, I know. But it's something, and something I haven't had before. I'm working on the paragraph pitch, and will hopefully have that tomorrow (later today). Also tomorrow (later today) I will be getting feedback on my prologue and first chapter. My nerves are jangling, to say the least. I am anticipating comments on prologues in general, and names (Liosalfar and probably Hiraeth). I intend to stick to my guns, siting Lloyd Alexander as the president for funky words in middle grade, and also Welsh.

In other 'news' Dave Wolverton's presentation was wonderful. However, I don't have enough brain cells awake right now to say how or why. Except that I will probably also be siting him too. I want that British contract too.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, I know you can do this. You will be great. People will love the book and the weirdness of the names. They might make you change them a bit. You rock. I've been reading your other blog for about 20 minutes. I love it.

    Is Dave teaching this year? I want one of his manuals. He told me to email him and he'd sell me one but by the time I did email him he didn't seem to know what I was talking about. I WANT one of those manuals that his students get. Waah. If you see him ask him how we can buy one.

    Your hubby is the best to buy this for you. But...I too wish you had some advance notice. We could have really workshopped your novel hard. But, what a neat gift. I hope he goes straight to Heaven--in about 85 years, that is, holding your hand.

    ReplyDelete